The following books and other items were either used as references is creating these documents, or are just plain cool, or both. Try looking for them at your local library or bookstore.
- Corey, Cindy. (1982). Exploring the Lighthouses of North Carolina. Chapel Hill, NC: The Provincial Press.
- Gateman, Laura M. (1991). Lighthouses Around Bruce County. Chesley, Ontario: Spinning Wheel Publishing.
- Holland, F. Ross, Jr. (1994). Great American Lighthouses. New York: Wiley.
- Hyde, C. K. (1986). The Northern Lights: Lighthouses of the Upper Great Lakes. Lansing, MI: TwoPeninsula Press.
- Each lighthouse in this book is accompanied by a brief description, focusing mainly on historical aspects, and a color photograph. The book also contains chapters on the history of lighthouses on the Great Lakes and some of the keepers who watched over them, accompanied by period photographs.
- Long, Bill. (1993). Bright Light, White Water: The Story of Irish Lighthouses and Their People. Dublin, Ireland: New Island Books.
- Penrod, J. (1992). Michigan Lighthouses. Berrien Center, MI: Penrod/Hiawatha Co.
- The book is thin and the text is light, but the full color photographs of nearly 75 of Michigan's lighthouses are absolutely stunning.
- Penrose, Laurie. (1992). A Traveler's Guide to 116 Michigan Lighthouses. Davison, MI: Friede Publications.
- If you like to travel and visit lighthouses, this is the book for you! While the black & white photography is okay, the real attractions of this book are the individual maps and directions to each light, and the descriptions which tell where the best places to view and/or photograph the lights are. Besides a main index, there are also listings of which lights are still active, which can be climbed, which you can go inside, and which have museums.
- Penrose, Laurie. (1994). A Traveler's Guide to 100 Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses. Davison, MI: Friede Publications.
- Penrose, Laurie. (1995). A Traveler's Guide to 116 Western Great Lakes Lighthouses. Davison, MI: Friede Publications.
- Roberts, Bruce & Ray Jones. (1994). Great Lakes Lighthouses: Ontario to Superior. Old Saybrook, CT: The Globe Peqout Press.
- Spatuzzi, John & Sarah Duncan. (19??). Beautiful Lighthouses: Pictorial Guidebook. Davie, FL: Horizon Images.
- Tinney, James & Mary Burdette-Watkins. (1989). Seaway Trail Lighthouses: An Illustrated Guide. Oswego, NY: Seaway Trail, Inc.
- Navigational Options
- Return to Lighthouse Home Page
- Go to Internet Resources
- Go to Alphabetical Index
- Go to Geographical Index
- Go to Expedition Journal
- Search the text of the Lighthouse Entries
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter
Copyright © 1995, 1996 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.