Charity Island Light

"Big Charity Island, Michigan"


Built: 1857
Automated: 1907
Decommissioned: 1937

"This light sits on Big Charity Island at the approach to inner Saginaw Bay. Having been automated in 1907, it became one of the earliest examples of lighthouse automation. Today it is privately owned and shows the effects of decades of neglect. A sign posted at the structure indicates the owners are working on plans to restore the home."



Navigational Options
Return to Sixteenth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.