Fort Gratiot Light
"Port Huron, Michigan"
"The Fort Gratiot Light was the first lighthouse on Lake Huron, constructed in 1825 just north of Fort Gratiot. It was destroyed by a violent storm in 1828, and subsequently rebuilt and put back into service in 1829. It was once again rebuilt in 1861, and an adjacent two-story dwelling was added in 1875. The Fort Gratiot Light is still in service today, though it was automated by the Lighthouse Service in 1933. It is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Michigan. (Photo 1994, Trip #18)"
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.