Online Literary Criticism Collection
Links below don’t belong? CONTACT US!
Return to: Literary Criticism Collection Home | ipl2 Home
Kate Chopin (1851 - 1904)
addressed women's issues in her fiction, Southern writer, writer of The Awakening
Critical Sites | Biographical Sites | Other Sites
Still Need More?
- Kate Chopin as Feminist: Subverting the French Androcentric Influence
- "That Chopin in some way 'bought into' the French male literary tradition which presented itself to her in the form of Maupassant's short fiction is undeniable. It is a fact alluded to repeatedly in the criticism surrounding her work, in that of recent years and also in the words of her contemporary reviewers. Maupassant has indeed been identified by one critic as Chopin's greatest literary "mentor" (Taylor p.159). But the most direct assertion of his impact comes from Chopin herself in an unpublished essay entitled "Confidences" (1896). Here she expresses obvious admiration for the French 'master' as she recalls her reaction to "stumbl[ing] upon" a volume of his tales eight years earlier."
- Contains: Commentary, Criticism
- Author: Jane Le Marquand
- From: Deep South v.2. n.3. (Spring 1996)
- Kate Chopin
- This site contains biographical information on Kate Chopin and links to other resources.
- Contains: Sketch, Pictures
- Author: Kim Wells
- Keywords: life, history, biography
- Kate Chopin: The Awakening, The Storm, stories, biography
- Presents extensive biographical information and recent news on the author. Has pages devoted to Chopin's novels and to her most popular short stories, including information about the composition, publication, setting, and characters Also includes an extensive, up-to-date list of books and articles that may be useful for students and scholars--as well as guidance for choosing a reliable text of the work.
- Contains: Extensive Bio, Commentary, Bibliography, Works List,
- Author: Kate Chopin International Society
- Access Restrictions:
- Kate Chopin: A Re-Awakening
- This excellent site, which is companion to a PBS program on Chopin's life, includes a biography and timeline, many pictures, a transcript of the television program, excerpts from interviews with Chopin's grandson and a Chopin scholar, online texts of several of Chopin's works, links to useful web sites, and an extensive bibliography of recommended reading. Well worth a look.
- Contains: Bibliography, Webliography, Works Available, Commentary, Pictures, Timeline, Full Bio
Sorry. There are no other sites about Kate Chopin in the collection; do you know of any that you can recommend?
Still Need More?
Couldn't find the information you were looking for?
Use these links to search for Kate Chopin
outside the IPL.
Click a link below to automatically search that site for Kate Chopin
Last Updated Mar 25, 2014