Online Literary Criticism Collection
Links below don’t belong? CONTACT US!
Return to: Literary Criticism Collection Home | ipl2 Home
Sites about Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
by Harriet Jacobs
Acclaimed memoir of slave life.
Critical sites about Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
- Between the rock and the hard place: mediating spaces in Harriet Jacob's 'Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl.'
- "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl is an extraordinary document - not, as some skeptics have charged, in the sense of the incredible (read 'unbelievable') nature of its storyline. While Jean Fagan Yellin's conclusive findings have largely tabled questions of authorship and authenticity, what I find especially remarkable about Harriet Jacobs's story is the unfolding of her ability creatively to construct sites of temporary refuge where none exist; to discover space where there is no space; to identify, over and again, the narrowest wedge between the rock and the hard place."
- Contains: Content Analysis
- Author: Gloria T. Randle
- From: African American Review Spring, 1999
- "The laws were laid down to me anew": Harriet Jacobs and the reframing of legal fictions
- "The narrative of Harriet Jacobs's life in slavery and eventual escape, published the year the Civil War began, poses a political argument that both condemns the laws of slavery and critiques dominant standards of (white) womanhood. As a literary text, Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl has helped to reshape the genre of the slave narrative, previously discussed and defined primarily through male-authored texts."
- Contains: Historical Context
- Author: Christina Accomando
- From: African American Review Summer, 1998
- Through Slave Culture's Lens Comes the Abundant Source: Harriet A. Jacobs's Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
- This essay examines the work as "a copious chronicle of slave culture."
- Author: Karen E. Beardslee
- From: MELUS Spring, 1999
Other (non-critical) sites about Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
- Harriet Jacobs--Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
- This site offers the full text of Jacobs' book, some commentary, suggested background reading on the web and in print, and visual images. A timeline of her life and contemporary historical events is also provided.
- Contains: Historical Context, Bibliography
- Author: Julie Adams
- Author: Julie Adams
Couldn't find the information you were looking for?
Use these links to search for Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl outside the IPL.
Click a link below to automatically search that site for Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl:
Last Updated Apr 29, 2013