Online Literary Criticism Collection
Links below don’t belong? CONTACT US!
Return to: Literary Criticism Collection Home | ipl2 Home
Sites about Madame Bovary
by Gustave Flaubert
Characters: Charles Bovary, Emma Bovary, Berthe, Homais, Léon Dupuis, Rodolphe Boulanger
Critical sites about Madame Bovary
- Fiction Victim
- Erica Jong discusses the significance of Emma Bovary as a reader.
- Contains: Character Analysis, Content Analysis
- Author: Erica Jong
- Flaubert, Gustave: Madame Bovary
- A brief summary and analysis of the novel.
- Contains: Plot Summary, Content Analysis
- Author: Pamela Moore
- Some Observations about the Suicide of the Adulteress in the Modern Novel
- "Babis Dermitzakis discusses in his article, "Some Observations about the Suicide of the Adulteress in the Modern Novel," that in three major male-authored European novels -- Madam Bovary, Anna Karenina, and Therese Raquin -- the protagonists are wives who commit adultery that ends in suicide. In contrast, texts by women authors of the period show no similar description and perception of adultery by women. Dermitzakis suspects that the male writers did not simply fictionalize a specific social behavior or condition; rather, they likely imported their own prejudices about female adultery -- and more generally about female sensuality -- into their writing. Biographical evidence of the threeauthors appears to support such a hypothesis."
- Contains: Content Analysis
- Author: Babis Dermitzakis
- From: CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture: A WWWeb Journal 1.2 (1999)
Sorry! Our collection does not contain any other (non-critical) sites about Madame Bovary!
Do you know of any that you can recommend?
Couldn't find the information you were looking for?
Use these links to search for Madame Bovary outside the IPL.
Click a link below to automatically search that site for Madame Bovary:
Last Updated Apr 29, 2013