Online Literary Criticism Collection
Links below don’t belong? CONTACT US!
Return to: Literary Criticism Collection Home | ipl2 Home
Sites about Middlemarch: a Study of Provincial Life
by George Eliot
Eliot's novel about the fictitious society of Middlemarch with its main focus on a young woman's marraige to an aging scholar, and her subsequent relationship with his cousin.
Characters: Dorothea Brooke, Rev. Mr. Casaubon, Will Ladislaw, Dr. Lydgate, Rosamund Vincy
Keywords: Victorian England,
Critical sites about Middlemarch: a Study of Provincial Life
- Microscopy and Semiotic in Middlemarch
- "This paper reveals a forgotten formative influence on George Eliot. Most accounts of Eliot's debts to science examine the circle of eminent scientists she and Lewes knew in the 1860s and 1870s and his own late work, Problems of Life and Mind. Here I explore much earlier and less celebrated writing: the microscopical investigations of primitive water creatures that Lewes conducted as an amateur popularizer of science in the mid to late 1850s and the vigorous culture of microscopy to which he introduced George Eliot as early as 1856."
- Contains: Historical Context, Content Analysis
- Author: Mark Wormald
- From: Nineteenth Century Literature vol. 50, no.4, March 1996
- Keywords: Nineteenth century science
- The author of this review praises Eliot's sympathy and realism, and hails her as a great critic of her age. "An author whose novels it has really been a liberal education to read, one is more tempted to admire silently than to criticise at all."
- Contains: Review, Content Analysis
- Author: Arthur George Sedgwick
- From: The Atlantic Monthly April, 1873
- Keywords: contemporary review
Other (non-critical) sites about Middlemarch: a Study of Provincial Life
- Reading Group Guide: Middlemarch
- Discussion questions for the work.
- Contains: Content Analysis
Couldn't find the information you were looking for?
Use these links to search for Middlemarch: a Study of Provincial Life outside the IPL.
Click a link below to automatically search that site for Middlemarch: a Study of Provincial Life:
Last Updated Apr 29, 2013